As you probably know, one of the best ways to improve the power and strength of your body is to use plyometric exercises. If you don’t already know, these are exercises that focus on explosive movements that force your body to build fast twitch muscle fibers.
If you’re new to plyometric training, start slow and build your way up to a full routine. Performing these types of exercises without any training background can easily lead to injury.
You should also make sure that you stretch adequately before your workout. It’s common for people to pull muscles when they are doing these quick, explosive movements if they don’t stretch out first.
With that said, let’s jump into the exercises!
Note: you will need a medicine ball to properly perform most of these exercises.
Explosive Start Throws
- Start by placing the medicine ball on the ground in front of you.
- Squat down and grab ahold of the ball with both hands.
- Once in this positions, take off like you’re sprinting and throw the ball out in front of you as far as you can.
- Begin by holding the ball over your head firmly with both hands.
- Stagger the positioning of your feet by putting one foot slightly in front of the other.
- Throw the ball as hard as you can at a wall in front of you.
- Try to quickly catch and throw the ball again by repeating the same motion.
Over Back Toss
- Hold the ball with both hands with your back facing a wall. You should be about 10-15 feet from the wall. You can also have a partner stand behind you rather than use a wall.
- Get into a squat position while still holding the ball.
- From the squat, explode up and throw the ball backward over your head. The goal is the throw the ball as far as you can.
- Have your partner send the ball back to you, or use the wall the bounce it back to yourself.
Plyometric Push Ups
This exercise can be done several ways.
- In this version, set up two boxes/books of equal height next to each other about 4-6 inches wider than shoulder width apart
- If you’re a beginner, start low (2-3 inches)
- Get into pushup position between the two boxes/books
- Lower yourself as if doing a regular pushup and then explode up so your hands come off the ground
- When your hands come off the ground try to land on top of the boxes
- Hold medicine ball with both hands at approximately waste level.
- Place one foot slightly in front of the other.
- Forcefully throw the ball sideways toward a wall or partner.
- Have the partner send the ball back to you, or use the wall to bounce the ball back to yourself.
Single Arm Overhead Throws
- Place your feet slightly wider than shoulder width.
- Squat down and hold the medicine ball on the ground in front of you.
- Explode up from the squat position, and with one hand throw the ball as high as you can. You can also throw it backward.
Video below shows the backward throw version.
Medicine Ball Slams
- Start with your feet shoulder width apart or slightly more. Also, bend your knees a bit to build power.
- Hold the ball with both hands over your head.
- Slam the ball straight down toward the ground as fast as you can.
- Catch the ball and repeat the exercise in quick succession.
- Place feet slightly wider than shoulder width apart.
- Hold the medicine ball with both hands at about chest level.
- Squat down to parallel with the floor and explode up with your body and your arms.
- When you release the ball you should be doing a press-like motion where you are pushing the ball straight up above you.
- Catch the ball and repeat.